Thursday 16 January 2014

10




"Um I mean... I want to continue working... remotely on the same spinning mill project with Shondeep Sir and also with you, as before!" she said with determination. Papaji thought for a while.

"Khushi puttar, why do you want to work now?" he asked her.

"umm.. papaji, I want to support my family. Umm.. repay the advance you have given me... bear some expense of my wedding..! it's a long list papaji!" she said genuinely. "Please ... papaji?" she asked earnestly. Papaji smiled. "Ok. Puttar, I will arrange something!" he said assuring her.

"Thank you papaji. You are the best papaji in the world!" she screamed in excitement.

"But, puttar.. have you talked to Arnav about this?" he asked her.
"No! But he won't say no!" she was sure but papaji was not!

"Ok. Puttar, talk to him and we will start working!" he said and disconnected.
He came out to see Shondeep's father talking to Mummiji. Papaji greeted him and said "It was Khushi..!"

"Oh! Yes! She told me! Khushi... How is she? I missed her!" said Shondeep's father smiling broadly.

"She is the same!" said papaji grinning at him.
"Hello, ladies!" he greeted Anjali and Lavanya.

"I came here to invite you for Lunch tomorrow at our place!" he looked at papaji. Papaji nodded.

"My wife has asked you to call her for your preferences!" he said smiling at Papaji.
"Oh! Yes! She knows my choice! But I would love to give her the menu!" said papaji dialing Shondeep's land line.

Shondeep's father was there with Papaji and Mummiji for a very long time.
"How come, he came over?" wondered mummiji later. "He rarely comes over!" Papaji knew why he was there and knew that his visits will increase. He realized that Shondeep's father paid a visit to be with him, to give him support. He smiled.

Raj and Elsa with the kids came out. Tej never stopped crying. He did not want to go. "Kiddy, I will come there!" assured papaji. He bent down to pick Tej up and Raj screamed "No! DAD!" Papaji immediately straightened up himself. Elsa looked surprised.

"No, dadaji. I don't want to go!" said Tej stomping. Raj looked helpless. He envied Tej. Even he never wanted to go and wanted to cry and stomp like Tej. Elsa held the kids closer and said "Dada and Dadi will come there and we will all come back, once dad's work there is over! OK?" The kids reluctantly agreed.

"Dad, I really want to come back!" said Raj with moist eyes.

"Puttar, take it easy! We will be alright here and we will keep meeting!" said papaji hugging him tightly as if never wanting to leave him.

Mummiji wiped off her eyes! Raj hugged his mother. Elsa came and touched their feet. Both of them were overwhelmed. "Dad, Mom.. I promise you! We will come back!" she said with determination. Mummiji smiled.

Anjali came forward and said "Raj and Elsa, don't worry, I am here for few days and then Chote and Khushi will keep coming to Kolkata!"

"Thank you!" Raj whispered. Lavanya was busy talking over phone.

They saw Shondeep entering the hosue. "All set to go?" he asked Raj smiling. Raj nodded.
"Biwi, I am going to the airport!" said papaji. "That's why I am here!" said Shondeep.
"Can I come with you Shondeep? " Lavanya asked but "We are going to the Airport with all this luggage!" said papaji cutting her off.

"May be in the evening?" Shondeep said compromisingly. She nodded.

They all went with heavy heart leaving mummijji with tearful eyes.
Anjali sat there holding mummiji's hand without a word. But the unspoken words from Anjali gave strength to mummiji and assurance that there would always be someone with her. She smiled faintly.

"You need a better life, my dear Anjali and I will make sure you have one!" she said to herself smiling. She had a plan. Her mission had begun from that moment!"

***** ********8 ***

Late in the evening, Arnav and Aakash came back home. Khushi and Payal were waiting for them. They had their dinner silently.

"Aakash, I need to be present for the Income Tax scrutiny. You will have to manage the office!" said Arnav. Aakash nodded.

"Bhai, about the international Fashion Event, I had a meeting with our design, apparels and accessories heads and our designers separately. We need a plan I had called up Reg…" he stopped at once.

Arnav and Khushi looked at each other. "We will talk about it later in the office!" said Arnav dismissing further discussion.

"Yeah! As if a big secret plan... I know! Big deal" muttered Khushi deciding to call her team next day morning.

"Bhai, Khushiji, there was a call from police station. They are putting him behind bar for more days before the case stands in the court. He will be charged under several offences. I went and met the in charge there. But he has applied for bail pending enquiry! The hearing is on 24th of this month!"

"Ok!" said Arnav glancing at Khushi's tensed up face. After the dinner, Arnav lingered there till Khushi finished her chores. They went to the room. Arnav had some work but he was tired. He was yawning.

"Should I get you black coffee?" she asked him sitting on the recliner next to him. He looked at her. "Khushi, I have a lot of things to catch up with. But I am tired!" he said shutting down his laptop. She smiled at him and switched off the lamps.

"Arnavji I I told papaji that I plan to resume my work remotely on the spinning mill project and as papaji's assistant!" she said after some time.

"What?" he sat up in the bed. "Why? Why do you want to work?" he asked her."She didn't even bother to ask me before!" he thought.

"um.." she hesitated. "I need to work!"
"Khushi.. why?" he asked her.

"umm.. I mean... I have to support amma babuji!" she said the truth.
"She could have worked in my office! She has not forgotten that i called her a gold digger!" he thought bitterly. But never the less said "Ok!"

She was happy. "Thank you!" she said kissing him. They went to bed in different moods. He was sulking for her decision and she was all excited about her decision to start working again.

******** *********

Khushi called up Shondeep, next day at 11 in the morning when she had finished all her work and Arnav had left for the office.

"Shondeep Sir, we have to talk about that International Fashion event!" she said excitedly. Shondeep was surprised. "You want to pursue that, still?" he asked her.

"Of Course!" she said enthusiastically. "We need a meeting! And you will help me in that. You are on my side!" she reminded him. He nodded and smiled "Yes! I am on your side and I will arrange the meeting in the evening!" he said.

"No No! not in the evening, ..no in the afternoon! In the evening that Laad Governer will be there to eavesdrop on our plans" She said.

"Who?" asked Shondeep little confused.
"I mean... Arnavji and Aakash ji will be there!" she said secretively. Shondeep grinned and said "Ok! I will call the meeting at 4.00 pm!"

"Papaji and family are coming for lunch at home today so I have to rush back! I will meet you at 4.00" said Shondeep and disconnected.

"Oh! Great! Hmmm..Lavanya ji is leaving this evening. Shondeep Sir...!Haan?" she grinned.

***********  **********

“What? How can you do this to me? Regi Sir, you too?” She yelled and there was a silence from the other side.

“Look Khushi.. You counted on me, but I still work with AR Group..!” Regi said reasonably after a while.  Khushi muttered angrily. 

“Yeah.. I know you are through and through his man…!” she spat and he laughed.

“Good you know it, Khushi… All the best..!” Regi said adding more fuel…!

“Aap ko toh maza atta hain naa? Troubling me like this…!” she said sulking. 

“Khushi… When you don’t know anything about this industry, why do you want to take up the challenge?” he asked the logical question and Khushi disconnected frowning and muttering..!


Khushi hardly knew anything about fashion designs, fashion events and economics involved. She was clearly novice. Shondeep hardly had any interest in such industry. He was a mechanical Engineer. He knew to set manufacturing processes and nothing else. Only Elsa had some knowledge about fashion, that too as consumer and not a part of the Industry. Khushi kept thinking about her options. She had counted on her Regi sir.

She laughed at her own stupidity to participate independently.

She completed her chores, went into Nani's room. Talked to her for a long time to know what all happened in Raizada house when she was away. At 3.45 she came to her room and switched on her laptop. There was no question of Elsa attending the meeting. She was still in transit.

Shondeep's figure flashed. He was in conference room. The other members were yet to come. Khushi and Shondeep were talking about trivial matters about the lunch when Raghu Aiyyar, the design head walked in. He was a well built guy with bright eyes and straight nose. His stylish haircut gave him the look of a bollywood hero. He was the perfect idol of the fashion world. He was another priceless asset of Papaji in the group. It was he who had helped papaji to start this Fashion House to complete the chain in the textile process.

He smiled at Khushi and said "Here I am Madam at your service!" she reciprocated with the smile.

She was waiting for Tushar, their finance head for the Kolkata Fashion House! Tushar was a typical finance guy, never bothering about fashion, dressing, and style statements! His spectacles were the only precious thing for him. He was the person who kept tight control over the costs! Papaji’s most trusted adviser!!

"Hello everyone... “Shondeep took over as the master of the meeting, coordinating the proceedings. They discussed the modalities of the event. Khushi basically was gathering the knowledge about how such events take place. She had helped in preparations of the last year's summer collection but had never been a part of strategic group. So many things were new to her and she sometimes felt overwhelmed by the amount of information. But Raghu and Tushar seem to be very familiar and confident about the events and willingly assumed the responsibilities.

Their designers were already geared up for this event and were putting their heads together for their uniqueness. Shondeep and Khushi were at the receiving end assimilating knowledge and information. Lot of things needed to be prepared in these three months. Khushi asked everyone to come up with their ideas about this fashion event and decided to meet again in couple of days.

When everyone dispersed, Shondeep asked her, "Do you still want to go independent?"
"Of course!" she said confidently. "Why? Are you afraid?" she asked him with suspicion. He smiled. "Why should I? When you are not?" he asked her. She grinned at him and said, 

"Shondeep Sir, I know this is not your field... but I want only moral support!" "Yes,Yes! Bhalo!" he said grinning back at her.

She disconnected and thought for a while and then dialed Mummiji's number.

"Mummiji.. " she started off with excitement. Mummiji smiled "What is it Khushi, what made you so excited?" she asked her.

"Mummiji,, that fashion event! I had a meeting with all our people in KFH!" she said.

"Khushi..! You know, I don't approve of this competition!" mummiji was little irritated.

"What? You want me to back out at this stage? When he is all set for this?" Khushi was furious.

"Ok! What do you want now?" asked mummiji giving up.

"HELP!" said Khushi happily.
"Help? Khushi, I cannot help you. I cannot take sides." Said mummiji.

"Mummiji, you have to. I mean look at the lopsided proportion... everybody is in his party... you got to help me! I know, you know everything in this... please...please..?!" she pleaded lovingly. 

"Khushi.. this is not fair!" mummiji protested weakly.

"When papaji can take his side, why can't you help me?" she asked.

"Khushi, you all declared me as referee!" mummiji's last argument was equally weak.
"So what? Don't tell anyone that you are helping me!" said Khushi.

"Khushi, this is cheating!" said mummiji smiling.

"Everything is fair in War and Fashion show!"declared Khushi Mummiji was speechless.

"So .. its decided you are going to help me in this!" Khushi declared and disconnected the phone.

"Mummiji" shook her head hopelessly but at the same time felt better that she had now something to do to keep her mind busy. "I don't know what help this old lady will be of in this in vogue fashion show!" she thought smiling. 

********* ********

Raj was restless throughout the journey. Elsa kept glancing at him. He wiped his eyes many a times. Elsa could sense his restlessness. She kept holding his hand whenever she felt Raj was losing his self control.

They reached home and Raj went straight to his room. Elsa took the children to their rooms and then went to see Raj.

"Raj.. is there a problem? Do you want to talk about it?' she asked him softly. He had his back at her and was gazing out of the window. He turned around. He did not know what to do. She came and held his hand gently. "It's ok!" she said. He stared at her. She waited for him to talk for a while and then turned to leave.

"Sweetheart... it is.." Raj opened up at last. She turned back.

"It is about Dad. He had a PSA test yesterday for cancer!" he spoke with hoarse voice and could not control himself. He buried his face on her shoulder. She was shocked. 

"What? Why didn't you tell me?" she asked. "Dad...asked me not to!" he clarified.
"Oh! God! ..." she thought for a while and then said. 

"Don't worry! He will be fine. Let the reports come! “she stroked his hand.

"Reports came in. Nothing can be said. He has hernia and needs a surgery!" he gave her another shock.

"Ok! We will bring him here for the treatment!" she said assuring him.

"No! He is not ready. Arnav is taking him to Delhi!" said Raj trying to hide his sob.
"I don't want to lose him... !" he was miserable.

She hugged him tightly and said. "Ok! Don't worry. I will talk to Arnav and if Dad is not ready, let us not go against his wish. We will go there... I will go there to take care of him!" she said. Raj felt much better. He was proud of his wife, his choice. They stood there facing the window, holding hands for a long time!

"Roger, I never lived in a family. My childhood went with my foster mother. I grew up independent. But you know, I always craved for a family life. May be that's the reason I fell in love with you. You were alone; you had a family, though separated. You were a family minded person. I could see my future family with you. Raj... I can't tell you how happy I was when Khushi first contacted me and then... I met your parents and Khushi... my dream came true. I am at the top of the world! And I won't let it slip out of my hands now at any cost!" She was in trance reminiscent. 

Raj gaped at her. "She knows the family values better than me!" He thought and hugged her.
She went out and brought a box. She took out idol of Devi Mayya and kept it on the table. Raj looked at her in shock. "Khushi gave me this! As her wedding gift!" she said kneeling down on the floor, joining her hands and closing her eyes. Raj followed. 

"Raj, don't worry! SHE will protect us all! ...I will take care of everything. You focus on your business!" she said getting up. Raj threw himself on the bed.


8 comments:

  1. Enjoy this long update... and read my replies to your earlier comments... hihihi..!
    Love
    JF

    ReplyDelete
  2. as usual wonderful update!!
    when will their war end God!! continue soon.. long update pls..

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. RS, thanks.. and here is another long update for you...!

      Delete
  3. Lovely update di! Arnav and khushi are gearing up for the clash of the titans! Always fighting, they both are worse than small kids! As for papaji's ill health and impending report, I hope that it comes out to be Ok,so both fingers crossed! Elsa's craving for a family life was beautifully portrayed too, though I must say that I'm angry with you! Do you really think that finance people are really that big a nerd?I mean, I'm also a commerce student though only in 11th and with a big specs too but I'm as big a hooligan as anyone can be! So, please don't stereotype! Just kidding! Anyways, all the updates were just as tremendous as ever...left me craving for more.Please continue soon.

    Lots of Love
    Dewdrop

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Akansha, thanks a lot for your beautiful comment... and sorry if I hurt your feelings... the finance nerdy finance guy is my portrayal of Tushar...! hehehe
      KF

      Delete
  4. Hi khushifan....Thank you for this emotional long update.....Poor KHUSHI want REGI as a teem member...and he is ASR`s person...now RAGHU is on KKGSR`s side and she is emotionally manipulate MUMMIJI also .....I hope she will win the contest....and rise as an independent business-woman .... like ELSA`s worry and determination about her FAMILY....there is misconception that a life partner from different nation is not understand our values and culture...but it is not true every time.... waiting for next...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sunita, Thank you for your wonderful comment... Yeah.. Regi can't be in her team.. but Raghu is..! let us see what happens next..! Yes there is misconception that foreign nationals won't understand our values... but thats not true... They do..better than us...!
      KF

      Delete
  5. Hi Khushifan!!

    Such a long, lovely update.
    Ahh, already cracks and competition are showing up in their relationship... in personal and in business!! Emotional blackmail is her mantra and she failed in one and passed in another.... now laying down the groundwork well. Wonder how long before someone gets to know of her cheating, hmmm!!
    Parting is always heartbreaking, but then there is no choice and somehow only then one cherishes each other's value!! Yes, family ties and family values are most important in life and its nice to see Elsa understanding it so well... "I won't let it slip out of my hands now at any cost"....lovely statement!!

    ReplyDelete